Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Lillie's Run in With the Law"

Lillie (age 5) recently decided that seatbelts are for the birds. So one day last week when she was very resistant to being in her buckle, Mommy just happened to see a police car parked in a near-by parking lot. I pulled over, with a very nervous little 5 year old saying, Mom, what are you doing? Mom? Mommmmmmmm??? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? I calmly said let's see if this officer will help "us" unerstand the importance of seatbelts. I pulled in, parked and walked over to him. (Personally, I think I made the Police Officer more nervous than Lillie.) I light-heartedly explained "our" dilemma to him and asked if he could help her "get it." I reminded him to not scare her, just impress upon her the danger, the law, etc... He did a great job, but Lillie would not even look at him, talk to him, and at the end, even yelled at him! Yikes! "I KNOW!!!!" He just laughed and walked away with a wish of good luck! Oh, OK THANKS! Guess what Family Home Evening was about that night? Obeying parents, the law, etc... Well, it seems to have made the difference. Lillie is now usually the first or second buckled and "ratting out who ever is doddling at the task at hand.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Safety first!!! :) What a brilliant mom you are!

Brooke said...

I can totally see it now! You crack me up sister! She is so cute. I'll have to have her tell Calob about that-maybe it will help him too! Love ya!

Kim Pedersen said...

Way to go! I love that! :)

Emily said...

LOL!!! Seriously funny Mandi! I loved looking at your blog! I'm proud you started it, you are one step ahead of me:)

Nicole said...

That is so funny you are so cute. Glad she understands it's important.

Becky said...

Mandi??? Maaaandiii... Mandi. Are you out there?

Joe and Monica DuPaix said...

love your story---your kids are beautiful---monica

Carlye Momma said...

I THREATEN MY KIDS WITH THIS EVERY TIME THEY GIVE ME GREIF ON SEATBELTS!!! YOU CRACK ME UP!!!